It is the policy of Newhaven Port & Properties Ltd to ensure that our business practices protect and enhance the environment and therefore the welfare of our employees and the communities in which we operate. Our objective is to leave a positive legacy in fulfilment of our commitment to developing a Green Port, encompassing areas such as greener port construction, energy efficiency, waste reduction and management, and providing safeguards against the effects of climate change.
This Environmental Policy Statement is applicable to all employees and it is our intention that this Policy Statement is conveyed and committed to by tenants, contractors and visitors.
The Company will adopt the following principles to implement the Policy for both its Marine and Commercial operations:
- Compliance with all applicable environmental legislation and guidance.
- Endorse the principles contained in the European Sea Ports Organisations Environmental Code of Practice.
- Conserve the natural environment, promote its sustainable use and protect it.
- Respond immediately to any environmental incident by utilising appropriately trained personnel and suitable equipment.
- Ensure that contingency plans are in place and regularly reviewed and tested to endeavour to prevent and control spills of oil, chemicals or contaminants.
- Be responsive to the environmental expectations of our staff, agencies and public.
- Apply best available technology without involving disproportionate costs to plant acquisitions, facilities and activities.
- Seek to find opportunities to apply innovative technology to reduce emissions and energy consumption and so reduce our carbon footprint.
- Actively seek to embrace the use of renewable energy in whatever form, and to assist the renewable energy industry in achieving its goals.
- Communicate this Policy to employees, tenants, contractors, port user- groups, regulators and the general public to ensure people are aware of their responsibilities.
- Continually assess recycling, re-use and waste minimisation possibilities.
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of the Port areas.
- Dispose of waste products in ways that least impact on the environment.
- Report on our Environmental Policy and performance to stakeholders.
Our intention is to monitor measure and manage our environmental performance to ensure that any potential adverse effects resulting from our operations are minimised and opportunities for improvement are adopted, where practicable.
NPP Ltd commits to undertaking a monitoring programme including, but not limited to, energy usage, waste streams, water usage and quality, biodiversity, transport, building design, employee engagement and community liaison; against such monitoring programmes, changes in performance can be measured. We are committed to using the findings of monitoring programmes to develop procedures and action plans for managing future operations and developments of the port.
The Directors of the Company fully endorse this Policy and regard sound environmental management as an integral part of the Port’s operations. The Policy will be reviewed on a regular basis to embrace changes to Company activities, advances in technology and environmental evolution.