At approximately 1200 (UTC) on 12 November 2016, the owner of the 7.75m motor cruiser Vasquez fell unconscious after being overcome by carbon monoxide (CO) that had been emitted from failed rubber bellows that formed part of the inboard engine’s wet-exhaust system. Although rescuers came to his aid, it was not possible to save his life. The boat’s engine had not been regularly serviced and there was evidence that the exhaust system of the engine had been modified during the boat’s life.
There still remains a significant task to raise boat owners’ awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide in recreational boating sector.
Due to the odourless nature of carbon monoxide, the fitting of a detector/alarm remains the only effective warning that the poisonous gas may be present.
It is important to seek professional advice and regularly service a boat’s engine, in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines, to ensure it remains reliable and safe to use.
The material on our site is given for general information only, and does not constitute professional advice. You should take specific advice before taking a course of action as we do not accept directly or indirectly any responsibility or liability for loss arising from information on this site. The site includes links to other sites which we consider may be of interest to you but we will not be liable for their content. Users linking to other sites do so at their own risk and according to the terms and conditions of those sites. We cannot guarantee that the site and any downloads reach you virus free and you are responsible for taking any appropriate anti-virus precautions for your own safety and peace of mind. All use of the Port is subject to Newhaven Port & Properties Ltd terms & Conditions which can be viewed here .